Heather’s Dance Company
December 2015 Newsletter
• Dance Costume orders are almost complete. I need 5 more costume angels to assist everyone that asked for financial assistance. We had 4 in the HDC Missions fund from the snack table and Swans fund raiser! That is fantastic! If you are able to help, please let me know this week. You may also just write a check to the dance studio and put costume angel in the memo and I will apply it where it needs to go. Thank you so much for everyone that donated to this program. I am always very happy with the generosity of this community, what a blessing to be a part of this!
• If you did not order a costume and planned to order, please get with me this week. I attempted to notify some people via email, but did not hear back from everyone. If you didn’t order and do not plan to be in the recital, no problem, still be in the class, still learn the dance and enjoy the class. It is a great experience. Please note, that in February when costumes begin to come in, they are handed out during class time and a big deal is made of it. Students that are not in the recital should be AWARE that they are not in the recital and will not be getting a costume as we try not to make a big deal out of it when choreographing.
• Christmas Break is Monday December 21st through Friday January 1st . Classes resume on Monday January 4th . Have a wonderful Christmas season.
• With bad weather, please note the studio cancellation policy. Please call or check the studio website or facebook page to know if class is cancelled due to bad weather or not. The studio strives to have class unless absolutely necessary. If school is closed due to bad weather and it clears up, we will still have class. You may call or text my cell phone 517-256-2074 to check or a note will be posted on the studio website and facebook page. http://www.heathersdancecompany.com A decision is made by 12:00 noon.
• When entering the studio, please wipe feet well before entering the dance area to watch class. PLEASE DO NOT WALK ACROSS THE DANCE FLOOR WITH STREET SHOES!
Dress Code: Please note that it is studio policy that all girls wear a leotard to class. All ages and all levels and styles of classes must adhere to this policy.
Why? Because the studio strives to maintain modesty and frankly sometimes we do things in classes that causes the body to shake and move or for the body to be revealed and if not properly covered AND supported, the student (no matter the age) and the teacher and other classmates are uncomfortable and/or embarrassed. (Please NOTE TEENS: A nude color bodysuit (worn under a costume to maintain modesty in case of costume malfunction) is NOT a leotard. Please support the studio in this policy regardless of your view. LEVEL 3, 4 and ADVANCED classes: We will begin a warm up/flexibility series this week that will have you on the floor with legs in the air- please wear shorts or legging (that will stretch a lot) over your leotard.
There are several places to get modest and attractive leotards for all body styles. Basic black is always slimming. Shop on line at Discount Dance Supply and use the studio code (TP31523) to get additional discounts and give the studio credit for props and accessories.
Bottoms Up in Okemos is also a good place to go.
If you do not have/forgot your leotard, there are several to borrow in the tote at the front of the studio. Borrow/wash and return. Dancers need to have their hair back (INCLUDING WHISPYS) away from their faces every week as well.
All students should have the proper shoes NOW for the style of class that they are in. NO BARE FEET!
If you order from Discount Dance Supply, be sure to use our discount code TP31523 to get 10% off.
• Community Parenting: Parents please watch your children in the waiting area. The couches and chairs and tables are not to be stood on or jumped on; it would be preferable to keep these things nice for everyone to enjoy at the studio. Children need to be monitored around the infra red heater that is now in the front of the studio (it is NOT a stool). I completely understand that as adults, we get caught up in chatting with others or phone calls or simply drop off students, however I am implementing a Community Parenting Policy at the studio. If a parent is sitting and observing and students in the waiting area are rough housing or talking loud enough to disrupt the dance class, or get hurt, or being disrespectful, I authorize that parent to step in and gently correct the students. There is NO TUMBLING in ANY of the waiting areas EVER! Please notify Miss Heather if there is a need to step in to make a child listen outside of class. This is for safety as well as respect.
• Make up classes: Remember that if your student missed a class for whatever reason, you are welcome to make up the class at another class of the same level and preferably style. You do not need to notify me when you are coming, just show up. If the same level and style of class is not offered another time during the week, speak to your instructor to see what class would be the best match.
• Citrus Fund Raiser Sale: Unfortunately the citrus sale is a bust. We did not sell the minimum required order and I’ve been trying to coordinate with another organization to pick up at their location. For some reason, the company will not let us do that. I will be returning the packets and funds that were turned into me this week. I’ve already had someone ask if they could just donate it back and the answer is yes, of course. If the people you sold to want to donate it back, it will go toward the new tumbling mats that are already ordered and are on their way within the next couple weeks or the costume angel fund or the financial aid fund.
• Does your student like the class? We are beginning recital routines and with that, there may be a couple weeks where the students are not as active in class as choreography and formations are being explained. I often get comments that students are not moving around as much or are getting bored or not liking the class as much. Please be patient as our goal will eventually be to work on the routine(s) half the class and still do other stuff the other half of the class. Please encourage your students to bring their listening ears each week and to try not to figit and to really pay attention when instructors are explaining the steps. Getting hair back away from the face really well and wearing correctly fitting leotards is very important now as well. If your student is “picking wedgies” in class, please consider having santa bring a dance gift that includes a new larger leotard, bobby pins or headhands and hair bands. Parents, if your student is fighting you on the hair issue, let me know- I’ll put my 2 cents in.
• If you ordered a HDC warm up, hoodie or tshirt, they will be available to pick up at the studio Monday December 14th after 6:30pm. They will be in bags with names on them at the front of the studio by the payment box. I will NOT allow students to go through them as several of them are gifts. If you’d like me to put yours someplace else or send it with someone else, feel free to coordinate with me. You can pick them up ANYTIME during dance studio hours.
• Our Competition Dance Team class starts this week! We are excited to offer this class to the older Hip Hop students. There was not enough enrollment for the younger team. Please be on the lookout for other competition opportunities for some of the classes.
• Supporting Small Businesses: The competition team is selling poinsettias to raise funds for extra costumes, entry fees, etc. If you are interested in buying a poinsettia, please let a competition team member know, sign the form at the snack table, email or text me with an order. Colors available are red, white or pink. Small $15, Large $25. Orders and payment are due this Thursday and they will be delivered next Thurs the 10th.
The competition will also be beginning an Adornable.U Jewelry fundraiser this Thursday Dec 3rd . If you are interested in making a purchase, catalogs will be in the front waiting area. The website to order is http://www.adornableu.com/debbiegould. At the checkout put in hostess name as Heather’s dance.